Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thriving Life's Top 10 Snack Ideas


I remember when I first started my son on a dairy free diet, it was very hard for me to think outside of my "box" of recipes and snack ideas. Gone were the days of grabbing something off the shelf at the grocery store or bakery, it seemed that everywhere I looked for food I would find milk listed as one of the main ingredients! So, I thought I would share some of the snack ideas we munch on around here and maybe it will get you to thinking!

1. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. While not, traditionally, just a snack, this was a lifesaver in the beginning. Cut it into fours and give two of the squares for a snack along with a handful of grapes!

2. Honey nut Cheerios- served plain or in a bowl with some rice or almond milk!

3. Oreos-yep surprisingly the regular and chocolate stuffed ones are daiy free.

4. Bowl of red or green grapes-raisins will do, also(I haven't run into any brands that are not dairy free).

5. 1/2 cup of low salt or salt free nuts, we like almonds, peanuts, and cashews!

6. Lunchmeat roll ups- Take a piece of turkey, ham, or roast beef(we like Boar's Head) and simply roll up each slice, add some apple wedges for a sweet treat.

7. Popcorn-we like to pop our own at home for a really healthy snack. You can find some brands of microwave popcorn, though, that are dairy free. Check your labels!

8. Bowl of cantaloupe or honey dew melon-one of my son's personal fav's!

9. Graham Crackers iced with frosting. Duncan Hines has many dairy/egg free frostings-another caution not all Graham crackers brands are dairy free, check them out for yourself!

10. Plain rice cakes with a nut butter spread thinly on top. Try almond butter to switch things up or, if you are allergic to nuts, try sunflower butter, it tastes very much like peanut butter but is nut free! Top with a little bit of jelly, jam, raisins, or thinly sliced apples! Get creative and create a smiley face with it!


As always, I must put a disclaimer that says CHECK YOUR LABELS! While I have trusted many brands for years, sometimes companies change ingredients. Your best defense is to educate yourself. Don't take my word for it, look at all the ingredients, yourself and then make a decision if a product is right for you!!! That being said I hope this list helps someone out there who is just beginning a thriving life with allergies or gives you some new ideas to add to your diet!

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I’m belatedly stopping by from the UBP. Nice to meet you! I am a new follower : )
    I have two blogs, and I’d love for you to stop by when you get a minute. Thanks!

    http://giveawaycorner.blogspot.com/ (A free giveaway every weekday)
    http://anne-somekindofwonderful.blogspot.com/ (Family blog)

    ReplyDelete